On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 the Ohio Educational Service Center Association (OESCA) recognized 82 of Ohio's top students from across the state during the 25th Annual Franklin B. Walter All-Scholastic Awards Program. North Point ESC's award recipients honored were Zachary Frederick from Edison High School representing Erie County, Jay Cok from Willard City Schools representing Huron County, Nicholas Urge from Put-in-Bay High School representing Ottawa County, and Allison Wank of Woodmore High School representing Sandusky County.
Approximately 400 students, parents and educators attended the event which was part of the OESCA Spring Conference and 100th Anniversary Celebration of Ohio's ESCs, which were established as county offices of education in 1914. Among the attendees were State Representative Tony Burkly (R-82nd House District) who delivered the invocation and Ohio's State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Dr. Richard A. Ross.
Governing Board President Mrs. Carole Kuns blows out a birthday cake in celebration of Educational Service Centers (ESCs) celebrating one hundred (100) years of service.
ESCs were established in 1914 through an act of the General Assembly as a way to help Ohio's many rural and village schools meet State education rules and regulations. The role of the "county school district" evolved and expanded over the years. Today, we provide large scale support and assistance to school districts and school-aged children across the region. These services and program include: curriculum development, special education and auxiliary support services, technical assistance and operational support, school improvement assistance, fiscal agent services, early childhood education, gifted education, personnel assistance and professional development, administrative searches and student attendance services. School districts contract with the Center for the services and programs that meet their particular needs.
1995, the General Assembly redefined "county school districts" and renamed them "educational service centers". The law (Amended Substitute House Bill 117) also began merging "county offices into regional agencies". The Erie-Huron-Ottawa ESC was formed in the latter half of the 1990's through the merger of three (3) counties. In 1997, the Erie County ESC joined with the Ottawa County ESC, and then in 1999, the agency merged with the Huron County ESC creating the Erie-Huron-Ottawa Educational Service Center. Through the hard work of Center employees and the quality of our programs and services, the Center expanded well beyond the tri-county area. In July 2008 the Governing Board renamed our agency North Point Educational Service Center.