Sample Post Secondary Goals: Independent Living
by Mary Jean Balda
Post Secondary Goals: Independent Living
(adapted from goals taken from www.nsttac.org)
These Measurable Post Secondary Goals are to be written in
Section 5 of the IEP form
Goal has to have 3 components:
1. Participation in independent living skill development is the focus of statement
2. The outcome is explicit and can be observed/measured
3. The instruction to reach this goal occurs after graduation from high school
Note that there will likely be less specificity in the post secondary goals of younger students.
Specificity should increase as the student gets closer to graduation.
- Upon completion of high school, Lissette will learn to utilize public transportation.
- Upon completion of high school, Jeremy will independently prepare for work each day including dressing, making his bed, making his lunch and accessing transportation.
- Upon completion of high school, Paulo will play soccer in a recreational soccer league at the YMCA.
- Upon completion of high school, Rolanda will participate in community-integrated recreational/leisure activities related to music, movies and art at the local recreation center.
- Upon completion of high school, William will effectively utilize an augmentative communication device at home and in the community.
- After graduation, Kevin will continue to live with his parents and will participate in his daily care routines to the maximum extent possible.
- Immediately following graduation, Judy will participate in 1-2 age appropriate community and individual community-based activities per week related to horticulture, socialization with young adults, animals and music.
- After graduation, Annie will effectively utilize an augmentative communication device at home and in the community that allows familiar and non-familiar individuals to communicate with regarding needs, wants, and desires.
- After graduation, Heather will turn her pay stubs into Social Security so her SSI check can be adjusted properly.
- After graduation, Amy will participate in the Special Olympics bowling league on Friday nights.
- After graduation, Billy will budget his monthly income so that his income covers his expenses.
- After graduating from high school, Kevin will learn to refill his prescriptions independently. He will also keep track of expiration dates for his prescriptions and call the doctor in a timely manner when he needs new prescriptions written.
- After graduating from high school, Justin will use a calendar to keep track of his college assignments and personal appointments.